Edinburgh progressive alliance backs action to reduce toxic air pollution

New Tory councillors oppose clean air action in first Edinburgh council policy vote

NEW COUNCILLORS in Scotland’s capital hit the ground running after overwhelmingly passing a motion to seek a Low Emission Zone (LEZ) to reduce city pollution levels.

The urgent motion, brought forward for the first post-election full meeting of the council today (Thursday 18 May) by Scottish Green Chas Booth, sought a cross-party coalition to move forward with plans for Scotland’s first LEZ.

The SNP, Labour, Greens and Liberal Democrats - who all had election commitments to the plan - backed the motion to lobby the Scottish Government (which wants to support a first emission zone project by 2018) to support a plan for Edinburgh.

The motion was passed with 44 votes with only Edinburgh 18 Tory councillors opposing action on clean air. The annual mean nitrogen dioxide objective was exceeded at 26 monitoring locations across the city in 2015.

Read more - Scotland's 'car-sick' society means 2,000 early deaths from pollution

Scottish Green Mary Campbell, seconding the motion, had called for colleagues to “start this term in the spirit of political cooperation” with mutual support for the council to take a lead.

However, Tory councillor Nick Cook called for the plan to be stalled due to the timing of the proposal and a lack of clarity on how a LEZ would be established and function.

The result of the vote was immediately welcomed by Scottish Government minister Humza Yousaf, who pledged to “continue dialogue” with councils who want to establish a LEZ.

According to Friends of the Earth Scotland, “Air pollution is Scotland’s biggest environmental health threat, responsible for an equivalent of 2000 deaths annually. Traffic is the main cause of air pollution.

“Tackling air pollution means not only saving lives, improving health, and stimulating the economy, it also means tackling climate change.”

The environmental group proposed that incentives are created to reduce traffic, especially from heavily polluting vehicles, and extra support given to active travel like walking and cycling.

The first meeting of the council also voted for Frank Ross, outgoing SNP group leader, to become the city’s Lord Provost by 26 votes to 24. However, the council is yet to form a working administration.

The SNP edged out the Tories 19 seats to 18 in the city, while Labour fell back to 12 councillors. The Scottish Greens are the fourth biggest party with eight councillors, and the Liberal Democrats returned six.

Picture courtesy of Friends of the Earth Scotland

Check out what people are saying about how important CommonSpace is: Pledge your support today.

Comments

Tessy Campbell's picture

Tessy Campbell

Sun, 05/21/2017 - 06:18

Hello viewers,My name is Tessy Campbell,and i want to introduce this doctor who cured my disease with his miraculous and spiritual powers,herbal healing powers and herbal medicines from natural herbal plants after many years of suffering . DR.Egodi he is a leading herbalist healer on the entire African continent. He use pure natural herbal remedies and his ancestral powers to heal and solve all sicknesses, infections as well as solving all problems in nature of mankind, He is blessed with a very powerful gift to cure people, he use traditional medicine and Natural product to cure HIV AND AIDS, MADNESS, CANCER, ETC. And also he does LOVE SPELLS and so many others like,
1 HIV /aids cure
10 HPV Virus
11 DIABETES
12 IMPOTENCE,
13 BARENESS/INFERTILITY
14 DIARRHEA
15 ASTHMA
For more information, E-mail Dr.Egodi don't die in silents.

CONTACT HIM VIA THIS DETAILS:

Email:dr.egodisolutiontemple01@gmail.com ,

Call him directly on +2348073022041.

tracymarks

Fri, 05/26/2017 - 13:10

Am really grateful and thankful for what Dr.Sebi has done for me and my family. I Was having HIV/ AIDS for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and because I was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. he cured me of my diseases and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him today. if you need his help or you also want to get cured just the way I got mine, just email him below dr.sebispelltemple@gmail.com or Whatsapp;+2348153863900 and get your healing. He has cure for other deadly diseases like Diabetes, Herpes, Hepatitis of all types and Cancer or see more at

Christinehubbard

Tue, 06/13/2017 - 02:20

Three months ago I constantly had to go to the bathroom. I thought it was because I gave up soft drinks and was only drinking water. One day I had a stomachache. I was in bed for 4 days. The doctor's appointment was for a Wednesday. I got sick and went to emergency room on a Monday. I was told my blood sugar level was 810 and I have diabetes. Since then, I eat better, take better care of myself and went from 260 to 220 lbs.and was thirsty all the time. One day I got extremely sick, could not keep anything down, had blurry vision, a rapid heartbeat, and began hyperventilating. taking metformin 1000 mg twice daily. I am writing this to inform others that nothing was really working to help my condition.I went off the metformin (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started on Diabetes herbal formula i ordered from Health Herbal Clinic, my symptoms totally declined over a 5 weeks use of the Diabetes natural herbal formula. i am now doing very well, Visit there website www. healthherbalclinic. net or email Info@ healthherbalclinic. net

Nathan Curry

Fri, 07/28/2017 - 09:06

Hi everyone!!!HOW I GOT MY WIFE BACK/MY BABY WITH THE HELP OF Dr. AHMED
I have being married to my wife for the past 3 years and 9 months we have obviously being living fine for those past few years. but the problem i was having was that i haven't being able to impregnate her because i thought i had a low sperm count,i had being visiting many hospital done various of test and samples but to no avail because all they could tell me was that am perfectly fine but i know that i am not fine my wife has being becoming impatient because i haven't being able to impregnate her after so many years. Things got worst each day, every seconds of my life i always think of what next to do because am being fed of me being incapable. i have come across so many health attendant who normally tell me that i have no problem. but i know that am sincerely not OK. One faithful evening when i came online in search of some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb, cure cancer, and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony, it was about a woman called Cora, she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 28 hours, he is the answer to all your problem. that is how they got help from Dr Ahmed, their wife back, how they got their husband back, how they got their low sperm on high rate with the help of Dr Ahmed i had to quickly get his email/phone number on line and contact him as soon as i could because i needed help urgently we had some talk and what i will do to get my self OK. he told me that all i had do is to get some items for purification and cleansing, i did all of those and thanks to Dr Ahmed am perfectly fine and my wife has given birth to Twins of the same sex all thanks to Dr Ahmed for his wonderful help... Contact.: E-mail: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or call/Whats-app: +2348160153829.
Nathan Curry from UK

barbara cozzetta

Thu, 08/24/2017 - 19:34

MY HIV HEALING TESTIMONY

My mouth is short of words, i am so so happy because Dr. UGO Wonders has healed me and my husband from HIV disease which we have been suffering for over 3 years. we have spend alot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep us healthy, we have tried all means in life to ensure we become Hiv negative one day, but there was no answer until we found Dr UGO Wonders the chief priest of GENERAL SPELL TEMPLE on facebook who provided us some healing spell. now i am glad telling everyone that i am now HIV Negative, i am very very happy, thank you Dr. UGO Wonders for helping my family comes back newly without any form of crisis. i am so amazed because its over a year now since i receiver my everlasting healing and cure from HIV. therefor i will announce to the whole world and anyone out there who is HIV positive to please follow my advice and get healed on time, because we all knows that HIV disease is a deadly type,contact Dr. UGO for your HIV healing spell today at: generalspelltemple@gmail.com. He will be always happy to assist you and ensure you get healed on time once again you can contact him through any of the following means

Email : generalspelltemple@gmail.com