Government convenes emergency meeting as Manchester Arena attack kills 22 and injures 59

General Election campaigns suspended in wake of suspected suicide bombing

A SUSPECTED suicide bomb attack at a pop concert in Manchester Arena has so far taken the lives of 22 and injured a further 59.

An explosion took place near the venue entrance, at Victoria train and tram station, as fans were leaving a concert by US singer Ariana Grande at around 10:35pm (Monday 22 May).

A lone male is understood to have detonated an improvised explosive device.

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said that a “fast moving investigation” was taking place into the attack, including whether it was conducted alone or as part of a network.

Political campaigning for the General Election on 8 June has been suspended.

Prime Minister Theresa May will convene a meeting of the government’s emergency committee Cobra this morning.

The SNP manifesto launch, scheduled for today (Tuesday 23 May), has been suspended. The leaders of all major parties have suspended their campaigns and extended their sympathies to the victims of the attack and their families.

In a statement, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said: “My thoughts are with the victims, their families and all those who have been affected by this barbaric attack in Manchester.

“The Scottish government is working with Police Scotland and the UK Government to ensure that we have a full understanding of the developing situation.”

Investigations are ongoing into the incident. Prime Minister Theresa May will convene a meeting of the government’s emergency committee Cobra this morning.

The Police have set-up an emergency phone line in response to the attack: 0161 856 9400

Check out what people are saying about how important CommonSpace is: Pledge your support today.