Beyond the Noise with David Jamieson is a new weekly podcast with CommonSpace journalist David Jamieson, where he gets behind the 24/7 outrage-driven social media news circus and gets to heart of issues, trying to finding the substance behind the headlines.
IN THIS episode, Jamieson looks at the crisis and decline of the media in Scotland and the UK on the weekend of the Sunday Herald's last edition.
He discusses what could be the an "existential" threat to major media institutions, and how they can be addressed by as part of a demand for "democratic reform" in British society.
Key issues Jamieson explores in the podcast are:
- The ways in which corporate control is running-down media institutions.
- Why technological change alone cannot explain the crisis in media forms.
- How the media fails to represent major political tendencies and social movements in society.
- Why the Scottish media is in a particularly bad state.
- The impact of the elite background of many senior media workers.
- Which reforms are necessary to create a vibrant, democratic media landscape.
Picture: Lorna Miller
ENJOY COMMONSPACE? Get our daily newsletter so you can keep up-to-date