Beyond the Noise with David Jamieson is a weekly podcast with CommonSpace journalist David Jamieson, where he gets behind the 24/7 outrage-driven social media news circus and gets to heart of issues, trying to finding the substance behind the headlines.
IN THIS episode, Jamieson discusses the mounting strategic hurdles faced by Nicola Sturgeon in the week she announced her Programme for Government.
He argues that Sturgeon has to take the initiatives to avoid being engulfed by a sea of troubles.
Key issues Jamieson explores in the podcast include:
- 3:03 What wasn't in the Programme for Government, and what that tells us about the problems facing the Scotish Government.
- 13:30 How Scotland's weak political opposition has helped to create a policy vacuum.
- 20:45 What orientation the SNP have taken on Brexit, and why a mainstream remain position represents drift from independence strategy.
- 27:12 Why Sturgeon mustn't wait for chaotic Brexit developments to unfold, but take bold independent action.
- 38:17 Why the allegations against Alex Salmond, and subsequent legal action won't lead to an SNP civil war, but will add to existing problems and tensions.
Picture: Lorna Miller
ENJOY COMMONSPACE? Get our daily newsletter so you can keep up-to-date