Beyond the Noise with David Jamieson is a weekly podcast with CommonSpace journalist David Jamieson, where he gets behind the 24/7 outrage-driven social media news circus and gets to heart of issues, trying to find the substance behind the headlines.
IN THIS episode, Jamieson speaks with workers about the forthcoming strike by Glasgow City Council (GCC) women workers for equal pay.
More than 8000 women are expected to strike across GCC services on 23 and 24 October.
Among other things, the trade unionists discuss:
- 1:06 What is the strike about, and why are so many women workers engaged?
- 4:10 How do the strikers answer the accusation that service users will be negatively affected by the action?
- 7:37 What are arms lengths companies, and how have they undermined both services and workers' rights?
- 12:01 How much of this is about the demand for dignity for the labour women perform? Are we now seeing a global women's industrial movement?
- 15:50 Why strike over other forms of protest or dissent? Why is the strike tool useful?
HELP US BUILD A COMMON FUTURE TOGETHER: Support our work at allofusfirst.org/donate